Quick Response Technology (QR-code) is about to forever change the way we interact and share information in the 21st Century.
From web sites and individuals to education and business, these tiny 2-d bar codes have a chance to bridge the gap between Reality and the Digital World.
But the questions of how to use the technology are still being answered. We decided to gather as much information about QR-codes as we could. Hopefully this guide will help you better understand and use the technology for yourself or your business.
This guide is going to be updated regularly, so please leave a comment in our comment section if you have something to add!
What is it?
A QR-code is a 2-D barcode that can be scanned by a smart phone’s camera and transfer information. Based on the type of code it is, it might direct the viewer to a website, make a phone call, deliver a vCard or more.
QR-codes have become a growing platform for sharing digital information and may quickly become a standardized medium. In 2011, this technology will become a standard for business and social interaction.
Quick Response Code was originally developed for use in the car industries in Japan by a company named Denso. QR Codes are now the Asian standard code for mobile tagging. In Japan it is tagged 50 million times daily.
Advantages of Using QR Codes
- QR-codes are open sourced
- Quick Response means they scan quickly
- Error Tolerant
- Data not limited to just text. Include images and video
- Can make a QR-code Dial a phone number
Current uses for QR Codes
- Business Cards-You could use QR-codes on business cards to fill in additional details for your client. Place the essentials for contact information and use the QR -code for other information.
- Place QR-codes on Facebook to encourage others to view and like your content.
- Create promotions and contests and place the QR-code on your social media profile or on print media.
- Bridge the gap between print and digital media
- Place QR-codes on T-Shirts.
What can you share with QR-codes?
While there are other possibilities looming, here is a brief overview of the data that you can embed in QR-codes:
- Website URL
- Telephone Number
- SMS Message
- Email Address
- Email Message
- Contact Details (VCARD)
- Event (VCALENDAR)
- Google Maps Location
- Wifi Login (Android Only)
- Paypal Buy Now Link
- Social Media
- iTunes Link
- YouTube Video
- and more…
Busch Gardens Using QR-code Technology
To understand how the technology is being used, Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL recently invited guest to “Feel the Spirit, Feed the Speed” where guests were met with construction walls in the southeastern corner of the park.
“Starting Saturday, June 26, new signs on those construction walls will give curious visitors a taste of what’s to come through the use of some unique new technology. Quick Response – or “QR” – codes featured on the posters invite smart-phone users with a reader app to take a photo of the black and white code. These codes, which look like pixilated bar codes, automatically direct the phone’s web browser to short video clips that will hint at various components of the new attraction, which is scheduled to open in Spring 2011.”
QR Codes and Augmented Reality
A group of students in Japan tested QR Codes with Augmented Reality.
“Graduation Project for Kyushu University, Interaction Design Lab, Department of Design Strategy.”
Mazda is using QR-codes in magazine ads “From Magazine to Mazda in 80 Seconds. Powered by the Layar Reality Browser”
Not satisfied with the black and white dull and boring format, artists and designers around the world are creating beautiful QR-codes that please the eye.
This is a double QR-code from QRArts.
Another beautiful example of placing imagery and color inside of a QR-code.
Create your Own QR Code
- Microsoft Tag-Microsoft is connecting Real Life and the Digital World by offering the tag system that allows businesses and individuals to create QR-codes that are visually appealing and effective marketing tools.
- Scan Life-Use Scan and Send with Scan Life to snap a photo of a standard 2d or 1d barcode. Send it via email or MMS and receive content in seconds. A great way to use QR-codes without having an app.
- QR Stuff-A Free QR-code generator that lets you give color to your code. You have a lot of data options from text to iTunes Links.
- Google Chrome Extension-QR Code Generator-This extension generators QR-codes for the URL of the tab you are currently viewing. You can copy in links, text, and slect images on the web page you are viewing.
- Kaywa QR Code Generator-A quick way to create your own free QR-code. Include URL, Text, SMS, or Phone numbers.
- Delivr-Create your own QR Codes simple and easy.
- ZXing Project QR Code Generator-ZXing lets you create a QR-code with contact details and messages. Great for creating a QR code about yourself to be placed on business cards or a blog.
- INVX QR-code Generator and DataMatrix-A very clean and simple to use interface for creating text-based QR-codes.
- QR Codes with BeQRious-A very robust system for creating QR-codes. Include email, text, Vcard, and video form YouTube. They also offer valuable tips.
- Mobile QR Tracking Analytics-A great way to track your QR-code stats.
- SocialQRCode-Designed for businesses to generate QR Codes and mobile landing pages for their businesses social properties. Create a landing page with a Facebook “Like” button or Twitter “Follow” button. Users can also create a mobile coupon that is sharable on Facebook and Twitter!
QR-codes for WordPress
Check out these plugins for adding QR Codes to your WordPress Blog
QR-code Reader Apps
Scan our QR-code to read our conclusion! Or read below…
It’s clear this new technology will server it’s purpose and continue to be adapted and integrated into new platforms and devices. The question remains how industries will adapt the technology. Marketing companies will continue to utilize it for their clients and in the next few months we will start to see heavy use of Quick Response Technology on blogs, web sites, and social platforms.
What do you think? Have something to add to the QR-code discussion? We value your input and feedback.
Please leave a comment and share this with your friends.